Effective Steps for Virus Protection in Microsoft Windows
Viruses can wreak havoc on our computer systems. Regardless of size and type, these nasty little computer programs are never a positive element to our experience with Microsoft Windows. Here, you will learn some effective steps for virus protection in Microsoft Windows.
- If you have a program, like Microsoft Office, you can successfully eliminate the occurrence of viruses from occurring by simply ensuring that the security settings in the program are set to “default”. These programs work in collaboration with updates to ensure the safety of your computer system.
- The next thing that you should do to ensure the security of your system is to be certain that you are set to automatically receive and download Microsoft Windows Updates. You will simply go to the “Windows Security Center” to enable this option. This is normally accessed by a small red shield in the system tray of your computer. This is the area down by the clock.
Once you enable this, you will see other areas that you can work with. This includes the firewall accessibility and the option to activate anti-virus on your computer system. Naturally, you should activate both of these options. These will help to effectively protect your computer system from viruses, and a wide array of other immediate threats.
- Naturally, if you are looking to protect the security of your computer loaded with Microsoft Windows, you should have a good anti-virus program. There are many excellent choices when it comes to anti-virus programs. McAfee, Norton Anti-Virus and Internet Security or XoftSpy are great choices. Also, keep a windows registry cleaner handy with you as anytime the registry can get corrupted and you would need the Registry Cleaner software to recover your data.
- Many anti-virus programs come with different program modules that safeguard against spyware and adware. However, there are many programs that do not. It is important to ensure that you have the proper protection and this includes both of these elements. Be certain to have a very good anti-spyware and adware protection program included on your system.
- Many individuals are addicted to downloading things from the internet. If you are a compulsive downloader, it is important that you take the time to realize the complications that may arise with this compulsion. You should be certain to only download from websites that you trust, or that are considered “secure”. This will help to eliminate the possibility of downloading a dangerous virus.
- If you want to secure your system, it is important to be sure that you avoid peer to peer file sharing programs, also called P2P programs. These programs are normally composed of at least 90% viruses, adware, and spyware. If you are a member of a free peer to peer file sharing program, there is nearly a 100% chance that your computer is already infected with adware. There is nearly a 90% chance that you have a virus and some spyware on your system too!
- You should avoid allowing “toolbars” to be placed on your computer unless they are from trusted sources. “Dialers” should also be avoided when possible. These act as sitting “spies” that act to develop a list and track all of the places that you visit while on the internet. This is done so that advertisements and popups can be created to target your interests. While these may seem like “innocent” endeavors in exchange for a handy little toolbar, they should be avoided in order to protect the computer from security threats.
- We have all heard it before – do not download attachments that are sent through email to your inbox. This is especially true if you do not recognize the sender of the email. It is important to understand that while email filters can be a great luxury, there is still room for improvement. These programs do not block every potentially dangerous email that arrives. You must do your share to ensure that you are properly protected from viruses in Microsoft Windows.
- If you have Microsoft Windows and network your internet connection with others, it is absolutely vital that you do what you are able to in order to ensure that the network connection is secure. If the network is not secure, many can gain access to your important files and documents. Not only can they see the information on your system, they can target it with dangerous viruses and spyware. Create a secure network key that includes letters, symbols, and numbers. This will make it difficult for people to target your system with malicious codes and programs.
So, using these tips, I hope you will take Effective Steps for Virus Protection in Microsoft Windows.
For more great computer tutorials, tips, and tricks, be sure to visit our website, Computer Training for YOU.